HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR FAST-READING AND GOOD-WRITING SKILLS: for natives and foreigners
Do you want to learn how to write great articles? Then you need to learn to read well! Why? By reading, we learn how to properly formulate our thoughts on paper, compose literate sentences, and use them in the right place.
So, what do you need to do to develop your reading skills?
- Develop the habit of reading certain texts regularly, whether they are love stories, detective stories, comic books, children's stories, or articles from glossy magazines.
- Choose interesting books by famous writers or texts that cover topics close to your spirit. Say you are interested in politics. Well, regularly review news articles, read reviews, and opinions of analysts. Do you like cooking? Download cooking magazines and study recipes.
- Find time to read. Preferably, you can read a little at a time, but every day. If you are a very busy person, read in a line, on your way to work, before going to bed, etc. Reading every day will help you expand your vocabulary and improve your grammar.
- Read what you like, but sometimes make it harder for yourself and choose texts that present some difficulty to you. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself!
- Pay attention to how the author uses words, how and when he uses certain comparisons and idioms, plays with words, jokes, etc.
Will it help sharpen your writing skills? Definitely yes. It is through reading that we can greatly improve our "writing ability." By the way, it makes you analyze the structure of the sentences you read (so you begin to write better and more correctly).
What to do to improve your reading skills?
To quickly get a rough idea of the text, use the technique of skimming. This type of reading is used when you want to understand the main idea of a text without focusing on details. Skimming is based on the following principle: the central idea of any text (article, essay, book chapter) is repeated three times:
- briefly in the introduction
- expanded in the middle of the text
- briefly in the conclusion of the text
Moreover, in any well-written text, the first sentence is a brief excursus to the topic. As a rule, the main points to be discussed in the main text are given there. So after reading just the first sentence, you can already understand exactly what the text is about and conclude whether it is worth reading or not.
When you want to find certain information in a text, another technique comes in handy - searching (scanning). This is a strategy that most Internet users employ. How to master scanning? It's very simple:
- Don't read every word in a sentence
- The headings and subheadings give you a clue as to what the passage of text is about
- Write down on a piece of paper exactly what information you want to find in the text. Look for it, and do not be distracted by other things that are not important to you.
- Practice your search reading: look for a word in the dictionary, a phone number in a phone book, a certain ingredient in a recipe, and so on.
Well, what you can do to improve your writing skills?
Write as often as possible
You need to write on any occasion and every day, at least a little bit. It must become a habit, and you should start taking writing for granted. It may be difficult at first, but you have to keep trying, and over time the quality of the texts will improve. You can write about anything you like: from how your day went to fundamental philosophical musings about the meaning of life.
Read English-language literature and write essays about it
Reading fiction is a great way to enrich your vocabulary and get acquainted with beautiful speech patterns and non-standard grammatical constructions. An essay on what you have read, in turn, is a way to consolidate the material you have learned. Keep all your texts in one place so you can always come back to them. This is a great way to keep track of your progress, as your texts will gradually get better. And, of course, don't limit yourself to just essays. Write essays about what's going on in your life or the lives of your loved ones. If you are associated with the field of PR, advertising, or journalism, you can try writing press and post releases.
Find the most comfortable time and place to write
Some people write better in the evening and some in the morning. At home, on the road, or in a cafe - experiment with the place and time, and find the combination where you feel most comfortable. Of course, this does not apply to texting, which we mentioned above.
Believe me, all these tips are very effective. Once you have mastered these techniques and make it a habit to read regularly, start writing different texts. First, we recommend that you learn how to write informal friendly letters. Find a pen pal from another country and send them messages. Then try to compose business letters, write short articles and stories. Most importantly, don't be afraid to put your thoughts on paper.
The shorter the better.
Let's imagine that our text contains a very long sentence. Somewhere in the middle, the reader will get lost in it, unable to follow the logic. But as soon as the long sentence is broken down into several shorter ones, attention and positive perception are reactivated.
If you’re still not sure about your ability to write well, you can go to write my essay service. Here you can find a lot of native English speakers with either a Master’s or Ph.D. degree who are waiting for your request and trying to please you with the result.
It is important to remember that writers are not born. Everyone can learn to write beautifully and interestingly. According to the American research, English has become the first and so far the only language with more than 1 million words. And this means that our freedom for creativity is almost unlimited.